Hobie sailors are a special breed; you’ll find Hobie Class Association (HCA) Division 4 members very friendly and eager to share their knowledge to help you enjoy your boat to its full potential. Reading books, magazines, and watching videotapes is a start, but there is no substitute to actually participating in a regatta. You learn by copying what the guy ahead of you is doing, chatting on the beach or dinner, and learning from your own mistakes.
- Fleet 72 – Portland/ Western Oregon
- Fleet 95 – Seattle/ Washington
- Fleet 214 – Vancouver, BC/ Fraser Valley
- Fleet 263 – Kelowna, BC
- Division 4 – https://groups.google.com/g/Hobiecat-Division4
How to Get Started:
Getting started is simple, just show up at any of Division 4’s regattas this season. If you’re already a Hobie Cat owner, bring your boat; We’ll show you how to rig it properly, or at least some tricks to make it seem easier. If you’re not already a Hobie Cat owner, come join us anyhow. We’ll help you decide the right model for you, and even help you find a great deal. HCA Membership is required to race for HCA sanctioned events; membership can be obtained at your first regatta. Still not sure, then become a willing crew, and start to pick up a basic understanding of the rules. They are easy to learn and make racing fun and safe. Each competitor and boat owner is also responsible for having their own liability insurance.
For beginners (in the 16 and 18 fleets) you will be placed in the “C” fleet so you’re racing against other sailors of similar ability. Additionally we have a Youth Program and events. Division 4 welcomes all Hobie Sailors of all abilities. When you show up for your first event, don’t worry, there are plenty of Hobie Cat Sailors willing and able to help you get oriented and answer any questions you may have.
Hobie Class Association:
Our primary goals & objectives are:
- To provide a fun and safe sailing experience for all ages.
- To provide education and training for the safety and betterment of the sailing experience.
- To provide fun sailing venues and visibility of our events to encourage participation.
- To help our fleets and partner with sailing centers to ensure quality events and programs by assisting with resources, training, and race management.
All Division 4, point regattas are sailed in national/state/local parks, or sailing clubs; each offering a splendid weekend getaway at very affordable costs. There is nothing like rigging your boat in the fresh morning air surrounded by breath taking scenery as the waves lap onto the shoreline. Come join us. We’re looking forward to meeting you this summer.